Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Boys' Book Bags


I love to read.  My boys love to read.  I have a young preschooler (I refer to him as "A" on the blog) and a baby ("S" on the blog).  My younger son is only a few months old, so he has little say in the matter, but we're working on teaching him to love reading too.  We love to go to the library, but I rarely have time just to browse the shelves because I'm trying to keep an eye on my preschooler and standing in front of a shelf staring at book titles isn't exactly his idea of fun.  Thankfully, my library (like many libraries these days) has their entire catalogue online and I can request books from the comfort of my home and then just pick them up at the circulation desk.  I love to get recommendations of books from other moms and blogs online, so I thought I would make my own lists of recommendaitons.  It would be too difficult to narrow a list down to just a few, so I hope to make this a recurring series in which I share the books my boys are into.  You can probably find all of these on Amazon, but if you're like me and you could spend all your money on books, then keep an eye out for them at yard sales or borrow them from the library.

So withouth further ado...

A's List (Preschool Boy)
1. Read with Me Bible
A LOVES this Bible.  I find that it is written at the perfect level for my young preschooler.  The illustrations are great and we read two of these stories every night.  He INSISTS that we read two.



2. The Complete Adventures of Curious George
Our son cannot get enough of curious George, whether it is the books or the tv show.  This is a collection of the original Curious George stories written by Margret and H. A. Rey.  It is a classic and even though the stories are rather long, they completely hold our son's attention.  The back of this collection also has an informative section with information about Margret and H. A. Rey that I thought was interesting.

3. Curious George Bedtime Stories
This is our second collection of Curious George stories.  These are newer stories, written after the originals.  A loves these as well, and they are shorter than the ones in our original collection.

4. The Monster at the End of this Book
Elmo is by far A's favorite Sesame Street character, but my husband does such an amazing job reading this book with him that he just adores it.

5. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
For some reason my son loves mice.  I don't know why, but he thinks that they are really cute.  


S's List (Baby Boy)
1. Hand Hand Fingers Thumb
This is so delightfully rhythmic that it's quite fun to read to him.  It's very Dr. Seuss-like.  The length is perfect for S's attention span.  

2. Guess How Much I Love You
If there is one thing that I want my boys to know it is that they are loved.  This is just such a gentle, sweet book to read to S before bed.


3. Clifford's Peekaboo
We have four of these Clifford board books and as you can see by the wear on the spine, they are well loved in our family.  

4. The Very Hungry Catterpillar
We have this both in English and in Spanish because it's so enjoyable.  Eric Carle's bright illustrations help keep baby S's attention.

5. Goodnight Moon
This is just the ultimate bedtime book.  I love reading this one to my boys.  It is a classic for good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do moderate each comment. Anything inappropriate or spammy will be deleted. Let's keep it positive and fun!